[olug] Hosed Distro

Jon H. Larsen relayer at levania.org
Wed Sep 22 12:45:45 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Joe Gulizia wrote:

> Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:04:30 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Joe Gulizia <jrguliz at yahoo.com>
> To: Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>
> Subject: [olug] Hosed Distro
>
> I had problems with my machine...fan got something
> stuck in it and I ended up hosing my SUSE 9.1
> Distribution.  The machine says I need to run fsck
> manually on hda6.  All the machine does is continually
> reboot itself.  I only got to login by running a Live
> CD of Knoppix.  I can't get to a shell prompt either
> other than through knoppix.
>

> Knoppix doesn't show a hda3 or 4 either.
>
> Help appreciated.

What does your partition table look like?  You can do this in knoppix by
running 'fdisk -l'

If your filesystem is ext2/ext3 run 'e2fsck /dev/hda6' to manually check
it.  Might as well do the other partitions on your partition table too.

How far do you get in the boot before it restarts?

Check to make sure all your fans are running properly, even the one on
the motherboard chipset if you have one.

Double check all your cable connections (should do this anytime you stick
your hands in a pc case. :)

--
Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer (at) levania (dot) org
Get Firefox - http://www.getfirefox.com/