[olug] newest side-project: cookie-cantenna

gregory at r3g.net gregory at r3g.net
Thu Sep 16 21:42:09 UTC 2004

I am not an early-adopter usually, so I am just now getting into wireless. I have decided to begin by building an antenna and go "explore/learn" wireless in the big-O. I happen to have a Pepperidge Farm Pirouette cookie can in the pantry. So I am going to ty to build the cookie-cantenna like:

http://www.icefortress.com/hosts/wolfden/CookieCantenna2.htm

1) I found the N-connector at Radio Shack (part no.278-201 description: UHF SO-239 Coax Connector for $3.29)
2) I found a 4-inch-to-6-inch galvanized converter at Lowe's for $4.72 to provide a little extra amplification.
3) I also picked up a can of  Stops Rust Rustoleum spray paint for $2.95 -- leavin' it primered, dude.
4) I have downloaded NetStumbler.

Now, all I need to find are the 5) 5-inch 12ga copper wire piece, 6) PCMCIA card,  and 7) pigtail. I am getting close on the PCMCIA card with a Buffalo WLI-CB-G54A (from EBuyer.com for $33.99). Dundee Hardware should have the copper wire. I will keep track of the balance of the project and its cost.

I hope this introduction might serve to solicit other people's opinion/experience as well as to document some stats on this project right here in River City and possibly also develop into an OLUG presentation -- hows-about that, Irish?

--
Information Security, WAN Networking, Web, Solaris, UNIX, Linux, Cisco
                 Gregory W Zill, MBA 402-556-1963

Gregory W Zill, MBA
Information Security | Solaris | Linux | Cisco | Network
402-556-1963