[olug] OT: Help Stop the Induce Act: Call Congress Tomorrow

Thomas D. Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Tue Sep 14 16:52:30 UTC 2004

Voting is a good idea, since we have not had a majority federal election in
years. Only around 50% of eligible voters vote, and by in far the presidents
elected have only had about 26-27% of all eligible voters voting for them.

A supposed reason for this is that by having negative campaigning, eligible
voters with low motivation to vote will be dissuaded from voting. This leaves
the most powerful voices in elections not the voters, but those who can pay for
the commercials that present the negative views and the lobbyists who can
provide funds for candidates and others to act a surrogates for the candidates.
Essentiality if the pool of voters shrink, then the target is to get out only
those who will vote for your candidate supporting your view.

So again getting out and voting is one way of defeating this direction in our
country.

Tom Williamson