[olug] iptables behind router

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Tue Sep 14 16:14:32 UTC 2004

William E. Kempf wrote:
> Here's my network topology:
>
> [cable modem (cox)]<--->[router]<--->[comp A]
>                                 <--->[comp B]
>                                 <--->[WAP]<--->[laptop]
>
> The router is a Linksys router, and the built in firewall is minimalistic
> (well, at least what's readily available with out hacking... [snip]

Well, the easiest solution might just be to do a little hacking..  If
it's a Linksys WRT54G then just update the firmware to a custom kernel:
http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/index.php

Took me all of 10 minutes to install and now the box has twice the
features and genuine ssh access.  From there you can forward as many
ports as you'd like right from the router..
-Ken