[olug] iptables behind router

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Tue Sep 14 11:02:33 UTC 2004

On Tue, September 14, 2004 10:36 am, John Dickson said:
> Hey, I have an idea. Multihome the single nic on COMP A with more than one
> network/subnet. One IP from your Wireless router network and another IP
> from a different network common to the other boxes. And so on.....

I'm not familiar with "multihome"ing, and Google Searching isn't being
overly helpful at the moment.  Several hits, but to nothing that's helping
me relate this concept to the problem at hand.

> Setup DNS pointing services where needed, and place routes where needed.

Why does DNS get involved here?  How does "multihome"ing help with placing
routes where needed?

> All of your port forwarding and DMZing is limited in the wireless device.
> Not so in your Linux box. Let it flow (confined to only the services you
> expect to traffic) to the tux box and control services direction from
> there.......

That's precisely what I'm trying to do (though I set the Tux box as a DMZ,
so as not to have to deal with forwarding specific ports... why have to
configure things in two places?).  What I don't understand is how
"multihome"ing will help me here.

--
William E. Kempf
wekempf at cox.net