[olug] Local internet access.

Nathan D. Rotschafer nrotschafer at geniussystems.net
Mon Sep 13 14:09:36 UTC 2004

Qwest has stopped supporting the 678.  Althought with those a static NAT was
possible in a similar manner as in IOS.  Now they send out Actiontec G701 or
something like that.  These are nice devices with web configuration for a
"DMZ" host that would allow you VPN to work fine (at least it did for me).
This device also has built-in 802.11g...yes g.  This makes it a great
addition for high speed wireless.

Nate

On 9/13/04 2:14 AM, "Phil Brutsche" <phil at brutsche.us> wrote:

> Eric Lusk wrote:
>> The key to qwest is NOT letting their "technicians" install your
>> internet access
>
> Abso-friggin-lutely.  The same can also be said for almost any ISP.
>
> At work one of my co-workers has QWeset DSL.  Works great, with one
> small detail... QWest configured her Cisco 678 DSL modem to be a NATing
> firewall (she gets 10.0.0.0/24 on her PC).
>
> Not a major problem for most home users, but if you're trying to get a
> IPsec VPN setup working (or even something simple like ssh) it makes for
> unnecessary complications.

Nathan D. Rotschafer
Senior Network Engineer
Genius Systems