[olug] Maple 9 on Suse 9.1

Don Kauffman dekauff at cox.net
Thu Sep 9 19:13:40 UTC 2004

First of all, I need to know if there are any Maple users on the OLUG
list? If you're wondering what Maple is then you probably aren't using
it!! It's a Math package that uses Java to do most of its work. You can
use it from the command line with terminal display or you can use it
with X ( or Windows).

This package works fine from the terminal display on suse 9.1. It
doesn't display as nicely with the terminal however,  and there are some
features I really like about the gui version. The gui version worked
well under suse 9.0 but loses its "connection to the kernel" under suse
9.1. I contacted Maplesoft about it and they said "we hadn't tested
maple9 with suse 9.1 so we don't know what the problem is but we are
working on it." That was several weeks ago and nothing has been posted
on their website yet. Meanwhile they've come out with an upgrade Maple
9.5 (which also hasn't been tested on suse 9.1).

I'm not sure what would make it lose the connection to the kernel.
(sorry the message isn't more informative.) Does anyone know of some
troubleshooting tricks that I might try?

Thanks!

Don Kauffman