[olug] SuSE or RHEL or Centos or Fedora or Xandros

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Thu Sep 9 14:15:40 UTC 2004

At Thu, 09 Sep 04, Unidentified Flying Banana Vincent.Raffensberger at dtn.com, said:
> Other than Xandros, it was a list of secure, production level systems.

I challenge anyone who's actually had real experience with Debian to try
to tell me it isn't a "secure, production level system".  And installing
it for a few hours doesn't count as real experience.

Personally, I can't think of any other distribution that even comes
close for server use.  And please, don't anyone tell me that Debian
isn't supported[1], or that it isn't used[2] much.

Production Debian server:

nexus:~$ uptime
 08:59:55 up 423 days,  6:45,  16 users,  load average: 0.70, 0.59, 0.58

This machine was initially installed in 1998.  It has been upgraded in
place multiple times since then (Debian upgrades don't require reboots).
The only time it ever gets rebooted is for kernel upgrades.

I'd love to see you try that with most other distributions. ;-)

And when you consider the new installer program that is currently being
tested for the next Debian release (expected within the next month or
so), I expect Debian use to grow even faster.

 [1] http://www.hp.com/hps/linux/lx_debian.html
 [2] http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/01/28/debian_fastest_growing_linux_distribution.html