[olug] DoDNS extortion

Eric Johnson eric_j at oasis.novia.net
Wed Sep 8 14:38:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Eric Penne wrote:

> A friend of mine just had her company attacked by a Denial of DNS (DoDNS).
> Apparently the attackers emailed the bosses demanding $10,000 or they would
> launch this DoDNS for the next month.  If they paid the money they would
> "protect" them for a year.  Is this straight out of the movies?
>
> Has anybody else had this issue?

I'll leave the technical responses to others, but just to let you know,
this has been an ongoing problem with online bookmakers (particularly in
Britain). There were some arrests in Russia within the last couple of
months regarding just this type of thing.

-- Eric Johnson
-- eric_j at oasis.novia.net

This space intentionally left blank