[olug] NFS Replacement: SFS

Jon H. Larsen relayer at levania.org
Thu Oct 28 15:24:13 UTC 2004

I'm looking at sharing files within my home network from my central
MythTV Master Backend, but don't want the headaches of NFS.  I don't
have Samba running, because there isn't any Windows system in my house.
So, I found this project:

Self-certifying File System (http://www.fs.net/).

>From the docs:

SFS
Introduction

SFS is a network file system that lets you access your files from anywhere
and share them with anyone anywhere. SFS was designed with three goals in
mind:

    * Security. SFS assumes that malicious parties entirely control the
network. It ensures that control of the network only lets them delay the
file system's operation or conceal the existence of servers until reliable
network communication is reestablished.
    * A global namespace. SFS mounts all remote file systems under the
directory /sfs. The contents of that directory is identical on every
client in the world. Clients have no notion of administrative realm and no
site-specific configuration options. Servers grant access to users, not to
clients. Thus, users can access their files wherever they go, from any
machine they trust that runs the SFS client software.
    * Decentralized control. SFS does not rely on any privileged authority
to manage the global namespace. Anyone with a machine on the Internet can
set up an SFS file server without needing to obtain any kind of
certificates. New servers are instantly accessible from all clients in the
world.

While it might seem paranoid to run such an item on the home network, it
does give me the advantage of extending the sfs share to a remote machine,
such as a laptop roaming.

Thought everyone might find it interesting.
Jon L.

--
Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer (at) levania (dot) org
Get Firefox - http://www.getfirefox.com/