[olug] Contested view

Jaymz Ringler jringler at unitedtransport.net
Wed Oct 27 14:26:02 UTC 2004

I previously attended a Suse/Novell conference down here in Lincoln
about a month ago..  The main point of the speech was their push towards
Netware on top of Linux.

I think this is what the article in question is talking about.  All of
the Linux distros have yet to come up with a domain structure.    There
are some directory applications that try to create a centrally managed
distributed environment, but all are nothing but an authentication
database.  The centralized management part is missing.

>From what they talked about at the conference..  the integration of
Novell Netware and Suse Linux will create a centrally managed
domain-like infrastructure that can rival Windows 200X domains...
create a single user database, and obtain the benefits of centralized
management.

They also talked about their OpenExchange server.. and some other office
collaboration efforts..  One thing that I thought was interesting..  The
mindset at Novell/Suse supposedly has changed.   in the past, the Linux
developers have mimicked the Microsoft developers and their
applications.   Novell/Suse have decided to lead with their
development.  ie.  the ability to export directly to pdf from
openoffice..  They have some other features within OpenExchange that
will force Microsoft to keep up..