[olug] Contested view

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Wed Oct 27 13:46:40 UTC 2004

Quoting John Dickson <jman at neonramp.com>:

> "What I meant specifically was in enterprise applications.  Linux hasn't yet
> been able to produce enterprise management systems for managing distributed
> environments.  Novell provides application distribution platforms, server
> configuration and management applications, directory services, and now with
> the purchase of Ximian, improved desktop management and applications.  These
> are all things I haven't seen RH and others do _successfully_ yet, and are
> just some of the features I want to see before I recommend enterprise-wide
> acceptance of, or migration to, Linux.  Novell is the only company I see
> doing these things, and doing them well, but they may never see the light of
> day because of their stigma."

Didn't Novell buy Suse? And aren't they providing all of these wonderful
technologies for the Novell Linux Desktop product that is currently in beta?

I don't know about any other big desktop push. All my Red Hat boxes are servers
or workstations used by developers who have a clue and are basically using
their workstations as sandboxes for the code they are developing for our
servers.

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com