[olug] home network lab

Corey Montgomery corey.montgomery at cox.net
Mon Oct 25 12:28:41 UTC 2004

Hello,

I want to set up a home network lab to experiment with computer
security.  In doing this I want to keep the lab network separate from
the actual internet.  Poking around Google and TLDP.org turned up a lot
of information on connecting a home network to the internet via DSL or
cable modem (which I know how to do), and some information about setting
up and configuring DNS servers (which looks like a very involved process).

I have an SMC Barricade firewall/router, two PC's, and an Ultra 10.
Would it be possible to simply unplug the cable from the router leaving
the three computers connected through the router?  My knowledge of
networking is not very extensive...

Thank you,

Corey