[olug] ot, wireless info please

Scott Evans munkey1979 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 17 04:22:29 UTC 2004

Well, A wireless access point does not route packets
like a router would. It just gives your wireless
laptop/Pc a way to connect to the wired backbone of
your network. For example, you would use a wireless
access point to connect to a already installed wired
router or switch.

A bridge pretty much lets two different standards
communicate together.  A wirless bridge in this case
would take the wireless packets and take the wireless
802.11 headers from the packet and encapsulate the
packet with ethernet headers so it can communicate
with the wired switch/router/network.

Also, switchs are sometimes called Transparent bridges
in many network/cisco books.

This is my understanding, I could be wrong. If I am
someone please correct me :)

-Scott-