[olug] PayPal outage

David Walker olug at grax.com
Thu Oct 14 12:11:59 UTC 2004

Every decent system, Windows or Linux or anything else, can be rolled back.
This isn't a function of the operating system but rather the developers.

cvs is an open source system that runs on Linux or Windows and can handle this
sort of thing.  Another alternative for rollback functionality can be
achieved simply by copying changes from development to live into a directory
pattern like (c:)/web/mysite20041014/ and then changing the active web site
directory to that one either by changing a symlink or changing the web site
configuration.

But, PayPal handles financial transactions which means that any changes to
database structure could be hard to undo.  Say they change something in the
database and then process 1500 transactions before discovering a glaring bug.
They have a responsibility to preserve those 1500 transactions meaning that
if they reverted to the database version prior to the upgrade (and their
database is most likely monstrous) they would have to re-enter the 1500 or
whatever transactions into the old database before they could allow new
transactions.

Any serious changes like this, on a site as large as paypal, would need to be
tested and retested and a reversal plan may have to be designed and even some
software written to implement in case of reversal.  It can be hard to get
those time and financial costs justified as the leadership often wants the
features quickly and cheaply.