[olug] wierd thing on cox network

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Thu Oct 7 16:43:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 09:14:03AM -0500, Brian Roberson wrote:
> When I woke up this morning and went to do my regular routine, I was unable to
> ssh into olug.org - could ping and traceroute/etc... but not get in.... This freaked
> me out for about 2 minutes until I realized my dhcp lease expired last night and
> I was issued not the usual 68.13.x.x address - yet a 24.252 address... anyone
> have an idea whats going on @ cox? not that its broke or anything, just why
> the change back to 24 network - I thought that belonged to @home. but after doing
> a whois -it is a block assigned to cox-atlanta - with a superclass of "OM-RDC" - whatever that is...

I would imagine the "OM" stands for Omaha, as the "om-om.cox.net" bit in
your hostname. I would imagine RDC stands for something like Regional Data
Center or something similar.

Before you panic, you should consider the possibility that Cox may be
renumbering or allocating extra IP space. If you check with ARIN, you can
see that many cable company allocations are spread around 24.0.0.0/8. In
fact, according to ARIN:

024/8   May 01   ARIN - Cable Block                  (Formerly IANA - Jul 95)

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org