[olug] Problem Using Wine to run StarCraft

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Tue Nov 30 03:26:25 UTC 2004

I've been using wine with a lot of small windows apps, so I thought I'd try it
out on a game.  I'm using the instructions at this link:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/~hoppq/sc-howto.html
which claims that "...practically any correctly installed Wine version should
be able to install and run Starcraft without any problems."

Starcraft appears to install without any problems, though the window that's
opened for the install is very tiny.   When I go to play the game, I get the
"can't find a CD in D:" error.  The cd is mounted at /media/cdrecorder, and I
can see the files on it, so I'm not sure why wine/StarCraft can't see it.
Anybody else done this?  BTW the distro is SuSE 9.1 and the wine build is
Wine 20040213.

Dave Thacker