[olug] Linux-Friendly MP3 Players? (iRock, etc.)

Tim OBrien IrishMASMS at OLUG.ORG
Sun Nov 28 19:41:10 UTC 2004

<quote who="Martin Willett">
> I use an iRiver iFP-890, 256MB, and I love it.
> Advantages: - supports OGG out of the box w/ no firmware upgrade (in
> addition to MP3 & un-protected WMA)
> 	- built-in FM tuner
> 	- line-in (stereo) & built-in mic (mono) recording
> 	- timer for unattended FM radio recording
> 	- uses 1 AA, alky or nimh, long battery life
> Disadvantages: - Supported proprietary software for M$ & Mac only (of
> course), although there's an active SourceForge development community
> 	 - USB settings iffy on my distro (FC2), haven't tried with FC3 yet
>
> IMHO, the players that offer FM tuners, line-in recording & non-music
> file storage beat the iPods for flexibility & value.

I agree, the line-in recording & non-music file storage is cool (though
you can use the iPod for file storage). But does anyone listen to
broadcast radio any more? I never did when living in Omaha, and only
started here in Vegas on my way to work to listen to Howard Stern!

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Previous Publicity & Social activities chairperson