[olug] System management tools

Cale Lewis dlazlo at fbx.com
Sat Nov 27 14:20:11 UTC 2004

>It is defantly a good tool, but it is noo substitute for getting your hands
>dirty and learning by Just Doing It. I can't recommend this approach
>enough. Webmin is great, but you really should know how the stuff works
>under the hood and be fairly familiar with it if you want to do more than
>basic desktop work. And for basic desktop work, I'd suggest stucking to
>your distribution's tools.
Yes, I use it to get a quick familiarity with something new, then dive in.

>Sometimes the best way to go is to just get a cheap toy machine and play
>with it, break it, fix it, break it again, and fix it again. It can be fun,
>frustrating, educational and dangerous to your sanity all at the same time.
Exactly what I've been doing, although at times I feel I've been a little too
ambitious.I'm running BeOS (Of course!!) on 2 platforms, a few Linux on 3,
FreeBSD on 2, IRIX, Solaris(SPARQ), MacOS(<X), and an asortment of other
things which varies on a whim. Usually when I work through something hard, I
feel better about my choices though.

They say "Variety is the spice of life", but it's so confusing sometimes!!

Cale Lewis