[olug] System management tools

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Sat Nov 27 05:01:16 UTC 2004

On Nov 26, 2004, at 8:44 PM, Sean Kelly wrote:
> Anyway, the point of my initial inquiry was to ask if anybody out
> there is
> using cfengine or anything like it. I am quite familiar with all of the
> other points you covered, and agree that they are very important for
> system
> administration work.

My bad, my old job has desensitized me, I'm used sysadmins who aren't
familiar with those concepts.

> You made mention of cfengine, so is it safe to assume that you or your
> company is using it? Did you look into anything else? My goal is to
> find
> the best cfengine-like tool out there that works with:
>  * Solaris (8, 9, 10)
>  * Linux (RHEL AS 3, RHEL ES 3, various other distributions)
>  * HP-UX (10.20, 11.0, 11.11)
>  * FreeBSD (4.x, 5.x)

I'm no expert (yet) but everything I've read says cfengine is it. I'd
love to hear if anybody knows of anything else as well. But guessing
that since both you and I have never heard of anything else, if there
is something else it's going to be nowhere near as feature complete.

I'm going to start looking into cfengine sometime, as I'm now
developing all the QA/CM processes for a large DBA shop. Once I turn my
head away from our deliverables (schemas and so on) I'm going to look
into automating what's done with db configuration. I have yet to sit
down with the regular DBAs and see what kind of systems they're using
yet since I've been mostly working with data modelers.

That said, I dug for some more links.

http://www.open-challenge.nl/scc/index.html

System configuration collector. Looks neat. Should help with your
baseline.

http://www.stokely.com/unix.sysadm.resources/autosysmgm.backup.html

This looks to be a nice collection of links for doing what you need.
Lots of interesting projects there.

I'm going to hope you're using some sort of directory to manage users
and naming. If not, look into it. Gash2 is something I looked into
while working on another project. It's kind of a meta directory
configuration engine.

http://tools.arlut.utexas.edu/gash2/

Erm, that links page is nice. I'm going to go through and read some
more. Let us know if you find anything else that looks useful.

-- Daniel