[olug] System management tools

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Sat Nov 27 02:34:13 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 06:58:17PM -0600, Don Kauffman wrote:
> Are you aware of webmin? It's a admin tool that can be installed on most
> *nix systems and can be accessed securely through a web browser. I am
> not a system admin so can't speak about it's robustness but I use it at
> home. It does the job and more. It will work on all the *nix platforms
> that you mentioned.
>
> Check it out at and let us know what you think:
> http://www.webmin.com/

Webmin is a good tool for managing a single or small number of machines.
However, I wouldn't want to slap a web interface like webmin on the front
of a few dozen machines that are all slightly different. Webmin is
especially good for beginners. I've used it on FreeBSD and Linux in the
past, though I am more of a CLI person. I like to know the exact details of
what is being done to my machines.

I am looking for something like cfengine, or even example cfengine
configurations that people are using in real environments.

For those not familiar with cfengine, I would suggest checking it out. It
seems quite nice in concept, though I've never used it. Basically the idea
is you have a single set of configuration files, binaries, etc and they are
pushed out to various machines based on their class, OS, etc...

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org