[olug] System management tools

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Sat Nov 27 01:57:42 UTC 2004

Hard job. No easy solutions. That's why you have a job.

This is what we were starting to do at work at the start of the new
contract (75 server windows shop, but the principles apply) before I
moved over to doing oracle development a few weeks ago. Keep in mind we
were using hp insight manager to identify what the real configuration
of the system is. You may want to look into what's available on linux
for that. IM works with the HP hardware we were running so we knew when
hardware was failing or failed as well. It also stored the data in a
sql database so we can pull whatever data out we need.

The second part is a baseline. Identify what each server should be and
replicate it as close as possible. "This is an MTA, it runs OS ver Y,
MTA ver X with XX patch levels." "All our machines will log these
daemons at this level to this logging server." and so on. Try to
identify what does what and document it. Then when your system goes
down you can look it over and find out what's different from the
baseline. What changed?

For changing the systems, cfengine is good, CVS is also good. Try to
keep your config files in version control. You can identify exactly
what change was made when. Good stuff. Learn to script. Script
everything. GET A TESTBED. If you're going to roll out a security
patch, automate it with whatever you use (rpm, deb, cfengine, etc),
TEST it on your test bed, then make sure it gets rolled out to the
servers running that product (refer to your baseline).

That's the closest real world solution we could come up with while
still managing to do our new installs, config changes, etc. The plan
was still in a state of flux as I was leaving. I need to stop in and
talk to my coadmin to see how it's going (we're still on the same
contract, I just moved offices). I'm sure it will change and more
automation will be applied.

Good luck.

-- Daniel