[olug] Distro recommendation

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Thu Nov 25 06:18:03 UTC 2004

At Wed, 24 Nov 04, Unidentified Flying Banana Jaymz Ringler, said:

> if you're working on older hardware.. what about dropping back to an
> older distro.. such as rh8?

>From a security standpoint, I would advise against this.  Using an older
distribution means that you are most likely going to end up with
software that contains unpatched security vulnerabilities.

Additionally, depending on how old it is, it may no longer be supported,
leaving you completely on your own to deal with security updates.  For
an RPM based distro (or any other package managed distro) you could end
up with a real mess if you're forced to install all security updates
from source because there are no updated RPM's available.