[olug] [OT} Anti-virus boot scheme

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 20:55:07 UTC 2004

One thing that has annoyed me in the past about the boot up scanning
is that often times you have to burn a new cd to get updated virus
defintions.  What good is it to scan with a year old Norton CD?  It
does not seem too hard to pull down new definitions when booted from
the CD given there is enough ramdisk space.  Anybody if F.I.R.E. can
update its virus defintions when booted from the CD?  There are all
kinds of software out there with this capability.  WIth 100,000
threats out there, a floppy diskette is not big enough.  McAfee's dat
download is ~3MB.

BTW, Mcafee altogether gave up on a bootable virus scanner.  It can
run from a BartPE disk however.