[olug] Documentation for Cruzer Mini's

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Sun Nov 21 09:38:01 UTC 2004

At Sat, 20 Nov 04, Unidentified Flying Banana Don Kauffman, said:
> I'm looking for some good documentation or help for setting up, mounting
> and using SanDisk Cruzer Mini's under Linux (more specifically under
> suse 9.1).

I haven't specifically used the Cruzer USB flash drives, and SuSE isn't
my distribution of choice, but if you have a recent Linux kernel (2.6.x,
or most 2.4.x) then you probably have all you need already (The Linux
kernel contains 'native' support for USB flash drives).

Just make sure that you have your kernel compiled for USB (I'd be
surprised if SuSE doesn't support it out of the box).  There's three
modules you need, the low-level USB host driver, usbcore, and
usb-storage.

To see if you're setup, start with 'cat /proc/modules | grep "usb"' and
look for 'usb-storage'.  If you don't see it, Try typing 'sudo modprobe
usb-storage'.  Chances are that'll do the trick.

Now all you have to do is use mount to mount the USB drive.

> Does anyone know of any good howto's? There is some help available on
> help forums but no one specific document that I can find. I searched the
> linux ldp, Linux Orbit, linux gazzette, linus forum, linux journal.

Do a search for 'linux usb flash drive' and you'll find quite a bit.
Here's a few specific entries that looked decent:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Flash-Memory-HOWTO.html
http://www.extremetech.com/print_article2/0,2533,a=59292,00.asp