[olug] Microsoft suing Asian countries for choosing against Windows?

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 22:05:19 UTC 2004

Charlie Rose had guests earlier this week such as Bill Joy of Sun,
Cisco's Chambers, and other guys from Yahoo, Google, Intel.  If you
didn't see it, you didn't miss much.  It was not one of Charlie's best
shows.  The show is better in one-on-one formats than large groups.

I believe the guy from Google said the language of the internet as in
the language of most websites would be a form of Chinese starting in
5? years.  Sometimes, the lazy side of me wishes i had not been so
enthused about Unicode in the past.

As stupid as the threat of the lawsuit is, who would hold China to
their open source license?  Luckily, Japan and Korea are in the
project as well for a good measure of balance of power.  Hopefully, it
truly remains an open source project, then the power is in the
peoples' hands, not government.

China fears that there is code embedded in windows sending out info.
As much as i do not trust Microsoft nor our own government, who would
trust the Chinese govt.  But in fact we already do a great deal.  With
all the hardware made in China, how do you know there is not keystroke
logging capability buried in the silicone?  A small speck on the
silicon lithography that sends out info as surreptiously as port
knocking.  Not exactly what Andy Groves had in mind in "Only the
Paranoid Survive," but did he think about this  when opening a new
plant in China.

I am not worried about it, it is just entertaining to wonder out loud.
 Even if i was that paranoid, the fact that i am writing this on a
Pentium 166 pretty much proves that the cheap skate side of me wins
out anyway when making buying decisions.