[olug] Windows XP SP2

Jeff Hinrichs jlh at cox.net
Tue Nov 16 16:55:02 UTC 2004

Daniel Linder wrote:

> Most arguments for the unrestricted copying/sharing of digital media
> (movies, music, programs, etc) seem to forget that there is a reason
> people are asking for money from these products -- they have a family to
> feed and take care of.
>
> The end result of this is that only physical objects have value and things
> like music, literature, photography, and other digitizable media are
> inherently value-less.
>
> That's a sad future for those of us who are trying to make a living in a
> digital industry.

I agree with Daniel, but my reasoning is very simple.  If you are a
proponent of OSS then you agree with respecting the wishes of the author
of the code.

It all boils down to respecting the licensing terms granted by the
author.  If the software is valuable enough to you to use, you should
value the author's wishes as well.  If you can't live with them for
whatever reason, find another piece of code or write your own.  Don't
dis the authors.  If you are an OSS proponent and you've got warez on
your system, then shame on you.

-Jeff