Fw: djbdns Re: [olug] DNS recommendation?

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Thu Nov 11 09:14:46 UTC 2004

and resending again...

never saw this come through the list, resending...

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 09:28:10 +0100
From: Brian Wiese <bwiese at cotse.com>
To: Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>
Subject: djbdns Re: [olug] DNS recommendation?

I didn't hear anyone else mention djbdns... I used it for several months
on my home network for the same reason, so I'd have 1 host file!  Got to
setup my own spiffy domain like hostname.bkw.lan and that made it simple
for adding NFS and other rules to only allow hosts from *.bkw.lan

The docs are pretty good, just read up a bit on the whole system... the
DJB stuff are not typical daemon, but rely upon daemontools and ucspi-tcp
I believe.  Simple though once you get used to it.

http://cr.yp.to  !and I just love that domain name!

Brian

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:34:33 -0500
<thelarsons3 at cox.net> wrote:

|I've been thinking of running a DNS at home so that I don't have to
remember the IPs of all my machines.  Any suggestions on what to use or
avoid?  I've heard that BIND is big, slow, and a security risk.  Is this
true?  What about djbdns?

|Thanks,
|Tim

|--
|Tim & Alethea

|OLUG mailing list
|OLUG at olug.org

Brian Wiese :: +47 938 31 782 :: http://brianwiese.net
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator