[olug] DNS recommendation?

Terry td3201 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 16:46:40 UTC 2004

I use bind and like it.  It is a memory hog and a security risk if not
properly configured.  Stay up to date with patches (or latest source
if you are one of "those").  Use keys for zone transfers and life
should be good for you.   I guess the only reason I use it is because
that is what is shipped with most mainstream distributions...

Also, what about a hosts file?   Shared hosts file via samba/nfs (this
sounds ugly)?  Also, if it is internal dns, I dont really see as huge
of a security risk as if it were an authoritative dns server for a
zone or two which in that case, would need to be open to the world.

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:34:33 -0500, thelarsons3 at cox.net