[olug] Identifying RAM

djalexander at cox.net djalexander at cox.net
Wed Nov 3 21:52:22 UTC 2004

Is there a way to find out how many DIMMs there are in a machine and
what size each one is?  The way I usually get RAM info (top or
/proc/meminfo) doesn't provide this.  I thought dmesg would show this,
but the log is full of newer messages, pushing the boot messages out.
Ideally there would be a utility that one could run that would profile
all the hardware on the machine and provide a summary.  Today I am just
interested in finding out how many DIMM slots I have open without
opening up the box and looking.

Thanks for any and all advice,

- Darren