[olug] MSWord Rqmt and MS lock in

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Mon May 31 18:09:39 UTC 2004

On May 29, 2004, at 9:31 AM, Brian Wiese wrote:
> Instead of being Pragmatic about $$$, how about Pragmatic about
> Freedom?
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/pragmatic.html

I own a copy of "Free as In Freedom" and admire RMS very much. Now I'll
nitpick this article. -grin-

> "When the goal is to help others as well as oneself, we call that
> idealism."

Weird, that's not the dictionary definition of idealism. I was a
philosophy major for a while, after all, so I should know after reading
that much Plato. Altruism would have been a better choice of words
there.

> "Stand for something, or you will fall for nothing."

Shouldn't that be "fall for anything"?

Copyleft and "derivative work" are always interesting topics for
conversation. My concern is always that work that I'm doing doesn't
HAVE to be open source regardless of my desires. It should be my
choice. No, I'm not troll baiting. The Perl licensing is more open than
FSF, and I think that's good for programmers that want to use Perl to
(1) contribute to the open source community and (2) feed their
families. Copyleft has kept some people away. The debate is whether the
community is better off or not for their abscence.