[olug] Suse 9.1/Compaq ProLiant 6000-Boot Sector

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Mon May 31 16:28:18 UTC 2004

I'm trying to install Suse 9.1 on my Compaq Proliant 6000.  All the drives are
under the control of the Compaq Raid Controller.  On my first attempt,
CD 1 loaded, the machine rebooted and hung without a prompt.  On my second
attempt I took a closer look at the boot settings on the setup menu and
noticed that Suse wanted to install grub on the MBR.  For my second attemp, I
changed the location of grub to the /boot partition which is at /dev/isa/
c0d0p0.   I'm now getting a grub prompt, but it can't seem to find the
kernel.   What's the proper place to locate grub on this kind of hardware?

TIA

DT