[olug] Linux Recommendations?

VHP3 vhpascale3 at yahoo.com
Mon May 31 14:22:34 UTC 2004

Well, if you've got access to 'broadband', or will,
you probably can just do it with a Linksys
firewall/router without the complications of setting
up a Linux server.   From there, you could run cat5 or
*gasp* a form of 802.11 to each of the roommate's
computers.   Of course you had an uncontrollable urge
to set a up a Linux server anyway, by all means go for
it.  This idea assumes you'll have access to some form
of 'broadband' Internet access.  If you don't, than I
have no clue how you could do it effectively.

Vince

--- "Dietz, John D." <dietz_j at alltel.net> wrote:

> 	Next year, my College is allowing tons of people to
> live off-campus
> next year (this is a first in many, many years).  A
> bunch of us are going to
> live together next year, and each from a variety of
> computing backgrounds.
> We are going to need to share Internet access next
> year.  The College uses
> Exchange 2000 Server for all campus e-mail (I have
> no idea why, but they
> do).  I was wondering what you recommended for
> sharing Internet.  I was
> thinking of using a Linux server of some kind (since
> I am one of the more
> network savvy individuals), but I was unsure of what
> distribution to use.  I
> would like to go for easy to configure and secure.
> 	I need to set it up however so that people can use
> Outlook to
> connect to the College Exchange server.  I have
> tested this out, and it does
> indeed work, despite my first guess that it would be
> blocked by the College
> firewall.  Does anyone know what it takes to set
> this stuff up to allow
> multiple individuals Outlook and Apple Mail access
> to the Exchange server
> via one IP?  I am going to NAT the network, and I
> would like some
> recommendations.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> John
>

> John D. Dietz
> 144 Arborview Drive
> Nebraska City, NE  68410-3302
> Ph: (402) 873-9357
> Fx: (402) 874-9572
> Cell: (402) 659-3912
> E-Mail: dietz_j at alltel.net /
> J-Dietz at cornellcollege.edu
> WWW: http://people.cornellcollege.edu/J-Dietz

=====
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."   -- Benjamin Franklin