[olug] MSWord Rqmt and MS lock in

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Sat May 29 14:31:31 UTC 2004

On Sat, 29 May 2004 00:17:07 -0500
Mark <mnmfactory at cox.net> wrote:

|Given the criteria you
|have, you may need to be pragmatic about it and accept that it may not
|involve Free Software.
|
|Possible solution...
|You could use VBA script to create a macro in MSWord...
|
|or...
|
|You could use some other development environment to do COM automation on
|the MSWord to drive it and generate all or most of the document you need.
|
|No. I don't particularly like those ideas... but they could save you a
|boat load of tedious work time. I'm a developer by profession and hobby.
|  I don't know if you have the means or interest in pursuing those
|ideas. Just a suggestion.

I think what Eric is trying to be pragmatic about is the freedom and value
free software gives you, and by not locking his customers into a
proprietary solution as evil as M$.  There are many who would see this
being more valuable than "saving time" or a little (maybe even a lot) of
money.

Instead of being Pragmatic about $$$, how about Pragmatic about Freedom?
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/pragmatic.html

/\ please read the above article by RMS, its a great one. =)

Brian

--
Brian Wiese          "What we do in life, echoes in eternity."
bwiese(at)cotse.com  gpg: 0x46D4332E    keyserver: pgp.mit.org