[olug] MSWord Rqmt and MS lock in

Mark mnmfactory at cox.net
Sat May 29 05:17:07 UTC 2004

Eric Penne wrote:
> I don't do the PDF conversion in the end.  I'm not authorized to sign
> off on them.  I just do the grunt work.  The lab manager (Windows only)
> does the final PDF conversion.  It is a Windows business but I'm using
> Linux.  They are stuck with MSOffice and I haven't/can't put together a
> convincing enough argument for them to switch to OpenOffice.

I'd read your statements from before and I would like to suggest
something. Sometimes, as you're encountering it, it's just easier to
take the path of least resistance. In this case, it could be easier to
just make the work time shorter for yourself. Given the criteria you
have, you may need to be pragmatic about it and accept that it may not
involve Free Software.

Possible solution...
You could use VBA script to create a macro in MSWord that would generate
all or most of the document you need.

or...

You could use some other development environment to do COM automation on
the MSWord to drive it and generate all or most of the document you need.

No. I don't particularly like those ideas... but they could save you a
boat load of tedious work time. I'm a developer by profession and hobby.
  I don't know if you have the means or interest in pursuing those
ideas. Just a suggestion.

Good luck!

-Mark E.