[olug] My story of SMTP servers (Was: Clear-Text Proxies)

Mike Hostetler hostetlerm at gmail.com
Thu May 27 11:35:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004 16:34:01 -0500, Mike Peterson
<mpeterson at mail.charlesfurniture.com> wrote:

> So are you running two mail servers on the same box or two mail servers on
> the same network on different boxes?
> Sendmail is an SMTP server.
> Why would it not count as an SMUT server?

Two mail servers (postfix and sendmail) on the same physical box.

I usually don't count sendmail as a mailserver.  Oh, I know it well
enough -- I've mucked around with it on and off for about nine years
(has it been that long?  I think it has).  But configuring sendmail is
hard, much harder than it should be.  Add the security issues onto
that,  and sendmail is just a bad piece of software, especially when
you have good alternatives.

I've been using postfix for about three years, and I feel just as
comfortable with it, if not more so then sendmail.  It's config files
are well-documented and plenty of stuff on the web about it.  And
postfix has proven to be *very* secure.  I haven't used qmail, but
I've only heard good things about it and it has the same sort of
history as far as security goes.

-- mikeh