[olug] Clear-Text Proxies

Mike Hostetler hostetlerm at gmail.com
Wed May 26 19:56:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004 11:40:37 -0500, David Walker <olug at grax.com> wrote:

> Why not just set up an SMTP server on the Linux box on a non-standard port?
> Then each machine can automagically send mail directly to that port on the
> Linux machine.

I took Dave's suggestion and installed postfix on the Linux box and am
having it listen to port 5000.  I had to put 5000 in /etc/services as
"smtp2" and tell postfix to listen to smtp2 instead of smtp via
master.cf.  Then I set postfix up to just relay to the main mailserver
(if I tried to relay to the already-running sendmail listening on port
25, postfix complained about looping).

This seems like overkill, since I already had one smtp server running
(if sendmail counts -- it doesn't usually in my book ;)  But it works
-- thanks for all the advice.  And I learned a little about netcat,
which is a good thing.

-- mikeh