[olug] SCO Lawsuit

Sean Edwards cybersean3000 at yahoo.com
Wed May 19 16:16:16 UTC 2004

> Novell's SuSe is a fortress - they have some hold on
> SCOX and if SCOX
> were to ever sue one of their customers, well, it
> hurts just to think
> about it.

Actually, Novell used to hold the master kernel
license which is now the Albatross around SCO's neck.
I may have the dates wrong, but I believe Novell
bought it from AT&T in 1993 and then sold it to SCO in
1995.\

I also believe Novell helped develop the IPX/SPX
protocol support for Linux, which led to the MARS NWE
(NetWare Emulator).  It was a Bindery (NetWare 3.x)
server emulator which provided drive and print
services to a Novell environment.

Novell recently bought SUSE. Is there any chance they
will buy Master Kernel from SCO just to retire it?

-=Sean=-