[olug] Samba

Jon H. Larsen relayer at levania.org
Wed May 19 11:22:35 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 18 May 2004 22:30, Daniel Linder wrote:
> --- Craig Wolf <cjwolf at mpsomaha.org> wrote:
> > If "oplocks=no" does NOT work, other than the info
> > from Jon on opening it in a WinDB and making a
> > change, any other ideas??
>
> <TANGENT DIRECTION='veering off course wildly'>
> I wonder if someone has thought of writing a program that could emulate
> the layout of the MS-Access MDB file?  A special file (a "named pipe")
> could be put in place of the real .MDB file, and then that special file
> could be an executable that does the queries on its own and returns the
> values as MS-Access expects.  Might make a neat hack since it could have
> option of being the middle-man between a shrink-wrapped MS-Access based
> program and a "real" back-end database like MySQL/Postgres/Oracle/MS-SQL,
> etc.)

There is a MDE available called MyAccess that allows Access to become a
frontend for MySQL.  http://www.hiden.org/myaccess/

This is not a free program.  $35 for a single user.  However, you can download
an evaulation copy and get nagged by boxes at startup and shutdown of usinng
the component. I did evaluate it at one time for a project at work. I thought
it would do the job that we wanted, a simple front end for MySQL in access.

--
Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer (at) levania (dot) org
Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org