[olug] DNS issue

IrishMASMS at olug.org IrishMASMS at olug.org
Mon May 17 21:39:46 UTC 2004

While configuring our new Library management system today, I noticed that
our assigned DNS is not reporting correctly - specifically NSLookups.
Hence, we are having problems with our Sun systems accessing the Internet.
So when I try to open a browser to go to Sun & download the latest patches
the browser hangs & locks up on me.

When you run NSLookup (at the command line or via a configuration file)
you get an error:
[quote]
Can't find server name for address (the IP of the DNS): Non-existent
domain Default servers are not available Default server: UnKnown
Address: (the IP for the DNS)
[/end quote]
This is the results we get from one of our Win2K clients, the error on the
Sun servers are similar but less verbose.

I have already called our ISP firewall folks, and they vectored me to some
other office which opened a ticket - but this office seems clueless as to
the problem, who manages the DNS, etc. Their reply was that if they can
ping the IP of the DNS then everything is operating fine!

Could someone provide some assistance with this problem? I am at a loss on
what to do next & what the actual problem is. Thank you for your time.

Irish