Fw: parallel port scanner in winxp -- Re: [olug] Microsoft is outof control!

Jon H. Larsen relayer at levania.org
Tue May 11 14:56:18 UTC 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Craig Wolf wrote:

> Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 08:32:42 -0500
> From: Craig Wolf <CJWolf at mpsomaha.org>
> To: olug at olug.org
> Subject: Fw: parallel port scanner in winxp -- Re: [olug] Microsoft is
>     outof control!
>
> I believe that Umax will SELL you a driver disk for your scanner for about $15.  As much as I used to like Umax scanners, I don't support a company charging for drivers.  I have had 2 instances were my customers had Umax scanners and both driver pages had a link on the Umax site saying they would be glad to take my money for the drivers...not a chance.  I sent the users out to get a Canon LIDE scanner for $80 and they have both been VERY happy.

I was also looking for drivers for a UMAX SCSI scanner to
install on a Win2k pc and was a little taken aback at the charge for
downloading.

However, the German UMAX support site didn't charge for the driver, where
I ended up downloading them.  The drivers were in english too.

Jon L.

--
Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer (at) levania (dot) org
Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/