fs/oss should be as 'light' as possible --- Re: [olug] Microsoft is out of control!

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Sun May 9 13:50:26 UTC 2004

from the RH open-source-now list:

Remember, we also have computers4africa.org in the area, and various
hardware recyclers... so when the updating/renewing just isn't worth it
anymore, be sure to dispose of your old hw responsibly (stop ewaste - its
toxic).

M. Fioretti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> One of the reasons usually mentioned to not care about sw efficiency
> (here and, sadly, on practically all Linux lists) is the "Moore's Law
> treadmill": HW would keep getting faster and cheaper so quickly that
> bothering about efficiency makes much less sense than just buying a
> new PC every other year.
>
> In general, this is a bogus thesis just doesn't make sense in the real
> world: a world mostly made of people who still have to work months,
> when they can, to buy any new Pc, and of people who may have the
> money, but rightly prefer to spend it in a thousand more meaningful
> ways.
>
> There is another reason, and now nobody less than the United Nation
> University confirms it, recommending to refuse the Moore's law and
> consumism: on the contrary, the useful lifespan of PCs should be
> extended as much as possible. Obviously this can happen only if Free
> SW like Linux distributions are made/kept as modular and light on HW
> resources as possible (ie quite lighter than today):
>
> "Short-Lived PCs Have Hidden Costs"
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,62562,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_6
>
> Ciao,
> 	Marco Fioretti
>
> PS: at this point I'm also forced to point out that the non profit,
> volunteer project in my signature was started two years ago just to
> provide Free Software that would make following today's UNU advice
> easier. Any support is welcome: right now, what we need more is ONE
> TIME help by PHP/MySQL experts to rebuild the website. Please spread
> the word!

...And, anyways, treating everything as dollar-store disposables
contributes to green house gases, over exploitation of resources and an
overabundance of trash.  Buying a new PC every year is just a poor
prospect, environmentally.  What happened to the days when things were
built to last?

--
Anthony Baldwin
http://www.School-Library.net

---------------------------------
On Thu, 06 May 2004 17:30:04 -0500
Phil Brutsche <phil at brutsche.us> wrote:

|thehaas at binary.net wrote:
|
|> My question is -- what does MS think that Longhorn will give Home Joe
|> User that they will want to upgrade to a massive machine?
|
|To some (and for most tasks) new machines on the market are already
|incredibly massive.
|
|How many people are going to sit around with their current machines for
|3 years?  I know I won't.
|
|> Already, people are happy when their machines "just work" -- they
|> just want to email, IM, surf, and maybe make a greeting card or two.
|> How is Longhorn going to improve their user experience?

|--

|Phil Brutsche
|phil at brutsche.us
|OLUG mailing list
|OLUG at olug.org

Brian Wiese          "What we do in life, echoes in eternity."
bwiese(at)cotse.com  gpg: 0x46D4332E    keyserver: pgp.mit.org
phone: 402.932.5490  aim: unolinuxguru  www.unomaha.edu/~bwiese