[olug] Help w/ GnuPG freezing? (Enigmail, EGD, Perl, SHA1, etc.)

K.J. Kirwan kjk_elec at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 6 06:19:01 UTC 2004

I hope someone can help me get GnuPG working.

I have one of those $15 e-mail certs from Verisign, but
it is going to expire soon, and since I'm a big Mozilla fan,
I thought I'd try Mozilla/Enigmail.  (Besides, I hate to give
those Verisign weasels another nickel.)

The Enigmail plug-in installed easily, and looks like it
might work but it needs GnuPG.  GnuPG is installed,
and it can report its version, but it freezes when trying
to generate a key pair (gpg --gen-key) in a DOS window.
(This is on a Win 2000 SP4 machine.  No booing please, LOL.)

GnuPG works OK through collecting name, e-mail, etc., then the
passphrase (two times).  After hitting return after entering the
second passphrase, it erases the last entered line, then it's
supposed to say something like "We need to generate a lot of
random bytes. It is a good idea to perform some other action
(type on the keyboard, move the mouse, utilize the disks)
during the prime generation; this gives the random number
generator a better chance to gain enough entropy.  "

It never prints that message, this is when it freezes.  I let it
run overnight once to make sure but it never came back.

So someone in the IRC #gnupg channel thought it needed
entropy and I should run EGD (Entropy Gathering Daemon).
EGD is a Perl program which uses the SHA1 Perl module.
So I installed both of these, and I still haven't been able to
make GnuPG work.  Maybe I'm starting EGD wrong?:

C:\gnupg>perl egd.pl c:\gnupg\entropy
bad source list: no sources at egd.pl line 377.

I have the Open Perl IDE installed and tried to debug, but I'm
unfamiliar with these programs, and a Perl "llama" only.

I'd be happy to forget about EGD and just "pound the keyboard
and jiggle the mouse" while generating keys, but that doesn't
seem to be getting the job done.

I also tried installing GnuPG into CygWin to see if I could get
GnuPG to work in a bash window.  It stalls in CygWin too,
if that helps any.

I'm lost, does anyone have any suggestions at this point?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Kim

P.S.: Here are some links:

http://enigmail.mozdev.org/