[olug] CVS Success Story

thehaas at binary.net thehaas at binary.net
Tue May 4 20:46:30 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 11:08:40AM -0700, Sean Edwards wrote:
> I can not attend the meeting tonight. So to maybe
> facilitate some discussion, I would like to talk about
> our move to CVS.
[snip]

I did a study at our office about moving from Visual SourceSafe to CVS.
Despite the fact that our development environment (Eclipse) has better
support for CVS than VSS, the Powers That Be decided not to move over
(we all have Windows for our development workstations).  As we are
moving forward to a few Macs and Linux machines needing to get to our
source respository, that may change.

>  I know about Bugzilla and run it on my server at
> home, and my manager knows about it, but it is not
> Java and therefore not for us.

We use Bugzilla . . . its too bad your manager doesn't want it in
high-and-holy Java -- it is one of the best moves we ever made.

> Anyway, retiring StarTeam was one of our best
> decisions last year.  Since we have Linux, Windows and
> Mac on the desktop, it is nice having a repository to
> fully support all systems.  The non-Windows clients
> for StarTeam were almost unusable.

How about a Wiki?  I'm just at the beginning stages of setting one up
at my workplace to gather all the little tidbits that my co-workers
have.  Has anyone else tried this?  Any success?

> Our decision to use CVS over Subversion was based on
> support, usage, and install base.  Subversion may or
> may not be in our future, but StarTeam, Clear Case and
> Source Safe definitely are not.

Subversion has some great things in it, but it's good to sit and
watch what happens.  CVS is tried-and-true.  It was never the best,
but everyone knows the quirks.
--
Mike Hostetler
thehaas at binary.net
http://users.binary.net/thehaas
Stop Spam: http://wecanstopspam.org/

"Nuclear war would mean abolition of most comforts, and
disruption of normal routines, for children and adults alike."
		-- Willard F. Libby, "You *Can* Survive Atomic Attack"