[olug] CVS Success Story

Sean Edwards cybersean3000 at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 18:08:40 UTC 2004

I can not attend the meeting tonight. So to maybe
facilitate some discussion, I would like to talk about
our move to CVS.

Until about a year ago, we used StarTeam.  When
continued licensing became prohibitive, we decided to
go with an open source utility to maintain our
repository.  Once we decided to make the move, it was
easy.  We checked out a version of a project from
StarTeam, then checked the same directory into CVS.
In the words of Larry the Cable Guy "Get 'er done!"

StarTeam did other things for us, such as Issue
Tracking.  As bad and expensive as StarTeam is, there
was the convenience of issue tracking integrated with
our repository and versioning.  This piece seems to be
the most difficult of StarTeam to replace.  Since my
manager is bent on getting yet more java crap in here,
he railroaded Scarab to the users and railroaded it to
my responsibility to maintain.  Let me just say that I
would not recommend Scarab for a production
environment.  We are now looking at a commercial
solution to replace Scarab called Jira.  It is a good
thing we freed up the money from StarTeam to buy Jira!
 I know about Bugzilla and run it on my server at
home, and my manager knows about it, but it is not
Java and therefore not for us.

Anyway, retiring StarTeam was one of our best
decisions last year.  Since we have Linux, Windows and
Mac on the desktop, it is nice having a repository to
fully support all systems.  The non-Windows clients
for StarTeam were almost unusable.

Our decision to use CVS over Subversion was based on
support, usage, and install base.  Subversion may or
may not be in our future, but StarTeam, Clear Case and
Source Safe definitely are not.

-=Sean Edwards=-
cybersean3000 at yahoo.com