[olug] SFTP to OpenSSH on NT

IrishMASMS at olug.org IrishMASMS at olug.org
Mon May 3 17:35:32 UTC 2004

After getting OpenSSH running on one of our NT boxes and testing SSH
connectivity using PuTTY yesterday afternoon I went home happy. On the
drive home I realised that I did not test SFTP - doh!

So this morning I started the text based PSFTP client & initiated a
connection to the NT box. I recieved the prompt for my username, which I
put in. The default usage warning came up (just like when I logged in via
SSH), prompting me for my password. When I submit my passsword (that works
when logging in via SSH) it would give me an error that the password would
not work, now it gives an eror:

Fatal: unable to initialise SFTP: could not connect

When I GTFG none of the hits have any relevance, other than this from the
OpenSSH FAQ [http://www.openssh.com/faq.html]:
<i><b>
2.9 - sftp/scp fails at connection, but ssh is OK.</b>
sftp and/or scp may fail at connection time if you have shell
initialization (.profile, .bashrc, .cshrc, etc) which produces output for
non-interactive sessions. This output confuses the sftp/scp client. You
can verify if your shell is doing this by executing:

ssh yourhost /usr/bin/true

If the above command produces any output, then you need to modify your
shell initialization.
</i>

I did not get any output from this in SSH, it hangs the terminal. In PSFTP
I get an error that the command SSH is unknown.

Any thoughts from the group?

Irish