RE: [olug] nostalgia

dan at linder.org dan at linder.org
Mon May 3 15:19:43 UTC 2004

Trent Melcher said:
> I remember that.  Slackware disks,  gee I cant remember how
>  many disks there were I had, I rememer downloading like
> the N set and other letter sets then putting them to floppy,
> man this was back around 94-95 or so....MAN its been over
> 10 years, WOW!!!

I remember when I was introduced to linux by a friend (probably sometime
around summer/fall 1992).  I was amased to get to a root prompt from only
two floppy diskettes -- the first one was the "boot" diskette, the second
was the "root" diskette with the /bin/sh shell, and a few other binaries
(cd, ls, echo, etc). :-) Downloading the N and X sets were a long way off!

Dan