[olug] Linux on Beige (OldWorld) G3

Sean Edwards cybersean3000 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 27 21:41:25 UTC 2004

First of all, I found this from a dogpile search:

Installing Debian on Apple PPCs:
http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=536

Which led me to the Penguin PPC Project:
http://penguinppc.org/projects/

In turn, led me to a NetBSD support page:
http://penguinppc.org/projects/quik/

And then NetBSD/macppc Model Suport:
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html#powermac

And in the footnote was this:
(http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html#g3v2)

"Apple PowerMacintosh G3 (Beige G3, Revision 2, Open
Firmware 2.4)
Open Firmware cannot boot from floppy drive
Open Firmware cannot boot from SCSI or IDE hard drives
without first running System Disk
Open Firmware can't seem to boot from CD-ROM even
after running System Disk
Zip drives may cause booting problems . . . "

The term System Disk above is actually a link to here:
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/SystemDisk-tutorial/

Which states the following:

"1. Boot into MacOS

You must be running MacOS 8.0 or higher.

If you don't have MacOS 8.0 or higher, you can simply
download the Disk_Tools_PPC.img from Apple's site.
This is a MacOS 8.1 boot floppy. You can boot from
this and swap floppies to get System Disk . . ."

Anyway, here are the two curious links:

Mac OS 8.1 Boot floppy:

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Mac_OS_8.1_Update/Disk_Tools_PPC.img.bin

Disk Copy 6.3.3:

And System Disk image:
ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/macosxserver/utilities/SystemDisk2.3.1.smi.bin

Any way, here is the long and short of it.  It appears
that Mac OS is required to make these floppies. But,
once created, I hope to use them to just change the
boot partition without actually having to install Mac
OS.

This will have to wait until later, but I will post
results to the list.

-=Sean Edwards=-
cybersean3000 at yahoo.com