[olug] LINUX on PPC : booting after installation

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Sat Mar 27 05:01:57 UTC 2004

Sean Edwards wrote:

>If interested, I could use some guidance as well.
>
>I have OldWorld Beige G3's (desktops and Mini Towers),
>no Mac OS, OpenFirmware 2.4, trying to use Quik
>bootloader with Debian.
>
>Linux works with a boot floppy, but this is a
>work-around not a solution.

Actually I'm surprised a boot disk works on an Old World machine.  I've
never heard of anyone getting an OW Mac to boot Linux directly with OF -
not saying it's not possible though.  I've always used a MacOS partition
to bootstrap with, and have had good luck doing that.  Does Debian
provide any documentation for installing that hints at different
procedures for different models?  I can dig around to see if I have any
spare older MacOS disks, too.

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea