[olug] best practices for modifying root's profile in Suse

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Wed Mar 24 15:11:18 UTC 2004

to be able to actively use your command history, use vi to edit/search the
command line

#in bash or ksh
set -o vi

#in sh
EDITOR=vi
export EDITOR

esc = enter command history
use vi keys to navigate - hjkl
search using '/TERM' i.e. esc ->  /vgextend